Sunday, November 14, 2010

Lessons from a Fly?


Right now a little fly is buzzing around on my computer screen.

I was sitting here wondering what to write for my next post, but the little guy kept winning my attention.  It's like he was saying, "Me! Me! Me!  Post about me!"  I thought,

Well...
Why not?

*embarassed chuckle*

I mean, have you ever wondered why God made flies? Considering the fact that they were included in His creation of the world, I can only assume they're meant to serve some kind of purpose. (However big or small a purpose that may be!)  Still, I can't help but wonder why God created such pesky little creatures.  It's true that He involved them in some accounts told throughout the Bible.  The biggest and most obvious example being the ten plagues in Exodus:
"Then the LORD said to Moses, “Get up early in the morning and confront Pharaoh as he goes to the river and say to him, ‘This is what the LORD says: Let my people go, so that they may worship me. If you do not let my people go, I will send swarms of flies on you and your officials, on your people and into your houses. The houses of the Egyptians will be full of flies; even the ground will be covered with them. “‘But on that day I will deal differently with the land of Goshen, where my people live; no swarms of flies will be there, so that you will know that I, the LORD, am in this land. I will make a distinction between my people and your people. This sign will occur tomorrow.’” And the LORD did this. Dense swarms of flies poured into Pharaoh’s palace and into the houses of his officials; throughout Egypt the land was ruined by the flies." Exodus 8:20-24

Here's another passage I found that refers to 'flies' as well:
"As dead flies give perfume a bad smell,
so a little folly outweighs wisdom and honor." 
Ecclesiastes 10:1
.
So... not only does God use these insects to fulfill His purposes, but to demonstrate important truths as well! I never realized He used them as a way to compare things good and wholesome to things which are negative and hindersome--when it comes to living out our faith!  Who'd a thunk it? :)

-------------------------------------------------------
Well,
I can honestly say that I never would've thought I
could (or rather, should) write a post about flies! 
--------------------------------------------------------

But the truth is, this post isn't meant to be about flies.  It's about the Creator of the flies, who chooses to use seemingly small things (such as flies) to serve an even greater purpose (such as the deliverance of God's people from Egypt!)

It's about a God whose salvation lasts forever, and whose righteousness...

will never fail. :)
 
"Lift up your eyes to the heavens,
look at the earth beneath;
the heavens will vanish like smoke,
the earth will wear out like a garment
and its inhabitants die like flies.

{mental picture -- tee hee!}
.
But my salvation will last forever,
my righteousness will never fail."

Isaiah 51:6

PRAISE THE LORD ALL THE EARTH.  :)

7 comments:

Kristen said...

very good! I like it!

Anonymous said...

Awww, I think I may have killed your little object lesson today. I'm sorry! Just kidding! It was yesterday not today!

I love you,

Mom

Katie said...

Hehe! ;) That's pretty cool!
Great post!

Katie

child of God said...

Haha, love it! It is fantastic that you found two spots in the Bible that refer to flies. Awesome!

Thank you for your words of encouragement and for following me...I am following you right back. :)

Yes,
Praise the Lord all the Earth.

God Bless,
<><

♥ Kimmi's Korner ♥ said...

WOW! You found two places in the bible that talks about flies!!:):) Thats so great! I love the name of your blog! Very creative!
Blessings!
Kimmi

Allison said...

For a post about flies, Taylor, it was a very good post:)
I LOVE reading your blog, keep it up!:)
<3

Yvana said...

Hi Taylor,

We just read your blog. My Knight and my Princess liked your post about flies. Actually I liked it too, you have a wonderful way with words and in looking at God's word. By the way thanks for following our blog and Welcome.